On line introduction to X ray and neutron tomography
This Basic Tomography course will provide, in just 1 day, a short overview of the possibilities of X-ray tomography (in large scale instruments and laboratories) as well some basic knowledge on data acquisition and data analysis. After this course you will be able to plan a tomography experiment on your specific material either on lab tomograph or with large scale instruments and perform first qualitative and quantitative analysis with numerical tools.
Time: Thu 2023-11-30
Participating: The MetaLSF Project, Novitom and Grenoble-INP
- An overview of the possibilities of X-ray tomography (in large scale instruments and laboratories)
- Some basic knowledge on data acquisition and data analysis
- Enable researchers to plan a tomography experiment on your specific material either on lab tomograph or with large scale instruments and perform first qualitative and quantitative analysis with numerical tools.
The course is divided in two sessions of 3 hours each. Both sessions include a theoretical introduction and a practical lab session where numerical tools will be used by the attendees: the software Novisim will be used to evaluate the influence of the main acquisition parameters on the image quality, the software Fiji will be used to perform some first data analyses.
Session 1: Data Acquisition
Tomography: General Principles
- X-ray interaction with matter
- Tomography – general principles and basic 3D reconstruction
- Phase contrast tomography
- Experimental setup: industrial, laboratory, synchrotron tomographs
- Image quality descriptors
- Main important parameters (energy, resolution, sample size, scan time …)
LAB SESSION: Optimization of Acquisition Parameters (1h30 min)
- Choosing the right setup / energy, effect of filters
- Influence of acquisition time, number of projections, sample orientation …
- Estimation of the limits of detection
Session 2: Data Analysis
Basics of Tomography Image Analysis (1 h)
- Correction of main tomography artefacts (rings, noise, beam hardening, local tomography …)
- Segmentation, extraction of global 3D parameters
- Extraction of local 3D parameters,
LAB SESSION: Data Analysis with Fiji (2h)
- 2D data visualisation
- 3D data Filtering
- Data segmentation and 3D visualisation
- 3D quantitative analysis
No specific knowledge is necessary to follow this course
For more information
Contact Sofiane Terzi : firstname.lastname@example.org or Luc Salvo : email@example.com
Before 15 November, register for free here .
This course is undertaken as part of the MetaLSF project, which is co-financed by the project partners and the EIT RawMaterials, which is a body of the European Union.