The Center for X-rays in Swedish Materials Science (CeXS) is the academic host for the PETRA III Swedish Materials Science beamline, a Swedish national research infrastructure.
Research infrastructures provide specialist services that are used for short periods by researchers as part of their research and innovation processes. Research infrastructures have an organisation that is reponsible for operating the facility - and a host organisation.
In the 2010s, Sweden commissioned the construction of a new research infrastructure - the Swedish Materials Science beamline - at the PETRA III synchrotron in Hamburg, Germany. The PETRA III Swedish Materials Science beamline is operated by Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY).
This Swedish national infrastructure became operational in 2019. In the same year, the Center for X-Rays in Swedish Materials Science (CeXS) was inaugurated to act as the academic host of the PETRA III Swedish Materials Science beamline.
PETRA III, and its PETRA III Swedish Materials Science beamline, is used each year by 200-300 researchers from all of Sweden's universities and institutes as well as companies. CeXS takes the perspective that we are the representative of this Swedish materials user community.
Formal hosting duties of CeXS include:
- Governing the scientific direction of the Swedish Materials Science beamline
- Safeguarding interests at PETRA III
- Organising and supporting education courses and training
- Annual reporting about PETRA III developments and Swedish use to the Swedish Research Council
- General dissemination
Additionally, using our research expertise and research user perspective, we also
- Undertake infrastructure development projects (hardware and methods) related to streamlining research processes that involve conducting experiments at the PETRA III Swedish Materials Science beamline (see projects )